While you’re busy traveling the world in your VW Bus it’s hard to stay fit and easy to let your health take a backseat. Hours of driving time and the lack of healthy food availability can really take its toll. Staying fit and healthy is a serious BusLife challenge. It’s important to stay creative to keep your blood flowing and get the nutrients you need. Luckily we have some tips and advice on how to live your best life inside and out.
Take Advantage of the Outdoors
Traveling is all about the adventure! Take advantage of the amazing places you’ll get to see by experiencing them with excitement. These are just a few options you can choose to stay fit depending on where you’re traveling.
-Hiking: This is one of the easiest and scenic options for exercise. The most rigorous hikes have the most rewarding outcomes. Pack a backpack with water and healthy snacks and set out for the day. This is also a chance to see places you can’t get to by bus. Explore caves, trails and discover some incredible lookouts.
-Running: Preferably on a beach if possible. The sand makes it all that much more challenging as you make your way down the beach. There’s also the benefit of jumping in the water to cool down afterwards.
-Snorkeling: Explore what’s beneath the surface while getting a killer workout. It’s such a great full body workout as well as cardio if you choose to do a little free diving to see as much as you can. If you’re on a coast jump in and take in the incredible sea life and coral reefs.
-Paddle Board: Explore above the water that will exercise both your body and mind. Paddle out to a serene spot and take a break by laying on your board and soaking up the sun.
Body Weight Exercises
You don’t have to worry about where you are to get some intense workouts in that will burn fat and build muscle just with body weight workouts. You can even up your game by purchasing some workout resistance bands to really burn calories. They’re light and easy to pack and fit in small spaces. Bands are they’re own portable gym you can bring with you. Here are some workouts that you can do anywhere to get your started:
-Bodyweight Squats: Set your feet shoulder width apart and sit back on your heels as you squat parallel to the ground.
-Lunges: Put your hands on your hips and step forward with one foot at a time. Keep the weight in your heel and push back up.
-Pushups: Don’t worry, girl push-ups are ok too.
-Crunches and Planks: End with some core work by one minute planks, keeping your body parallel to the ground. Lay on your back and get crunches in afterwards, go back and forth with these until you can’t anymore.
Make Healthy Diet Choices
Living by the 80/20 rule when it comes to your diet lets you have the best of both worlds and still stay healthy. Eat healthy by keeping your refined sugars and carbs to a minimum. Try to stay away from packaged foods when possible and stick with whole, unprocessed options. 80% of the time keep this up and make healthy choices. That leaves 20% of the time you’re able to enjoy the junk food and have some drinks. Don’t stress so much about this, just make good choices. MyFitnessPal is an awesome app to help you keep track and stay accountable. Don’t forget to stay hydrated!
Grab a Gym When You Can
Depending on where you’re stopped you might be near a gym and most gyms sell day passes or even have a free trial pass. Jump on that and get a good sweat in, maybe hit their sauna if it’s available (and shower).
Traveling across different countries is an incredible experience but it also can make it really challenging to stay active and healthy. Whether you’re used to being a gym rat or always trying to switch up your workouts by trying new things, your fitness doesn’t have to stop while on the road. It can be daunting trying to figure out where you’re going to workout, finding time for it and even what you can do to stay active. Hopefully these suggestions can help you find your way and what works well for you. Stay up to date with BusLifers to connect with others, check out events and share your advice and stories. We love hearing from you!